Friday, October 30, 2009

Fall Screening Log (Grades)

The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke, 09) B [2nd screening; Sept 2009: A-]
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson, 09) B
Broken Embraces (Pedro Almodovar, 09) C
The Lovely Bones (Peter Jackson, 09) F
It's Complicated (Nancy Meyers, 09) C+
Crazy Heart (Scott Cooper, 09) C
Nine (Rob Marshall, 09) C+
The Hangover (Todd Phillips, 09) C
A Single Man (Tom Ford, 09) C
Up in the Air
(Jason Reitman, 09) C-
Avatar (James Cameron, 09) B-
The Young Victoria (Jean-Marc Vallée, 09) C+
The Princess and the Frog (Ron Clements, John Musker, 09) C+
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" By Sapphire
(Daniels, 09) B
Amelia (Nair, 09) C-/D+
Good Hair (Stilson, 09) C-
This is It (Ortega, 09) C
Where the Wild Things Are (Jonze, 09) B
Summer Hours (Olivier Assayas, 08) B
The September Issue (R. J. Cutler, 09) B-
Cairo Time (Ruba Nadda, 09) B
Paranormal Activity (Oren Peli, 07) C+
A Serious Man (Joel and Ethan Coen, 09) C
Bright Star (Jane Campion, 09) B
W. (Oliver Stone, 08) C+

9 comments:

LizSegran said...

OMG! You gave Bright Star a B!!!! I thought it was visually stunning and such an engaging story (read: I cried so much through the whole thing that I needed to go shopping and each chocolate afterwards to recover emotionally...)

On the other hand, B seems to be a rather high grade on your scale. You're a tough critic!

xoxo

Pothik's Liz

Yaseen Ali said...

Liz! I know, it's such a cliché - the film critic never willing to go past a "B". I attribute it to the pastime itself (after a few years, it's hard to avoid becoming somewhat jaded), and partly to being a teacher. An "A" grade is reserved for something that really rocks your socks, so to speak - definitely happens once in a blue moon these days.

Campion's Bright Star is definitely on the higher scale of a "B" rating. I do think it's a little bit repetitive in terms of what she's done before (not so much subject matter, but in terms of aesthetics, pacing, dialogue). But I love that it's a film about writing that actually features the writing process itself. Some scenes are breathtaking in their ambition (the wall between Keats/Brawne, the flower-picking in the meadow), and the cast is perfection (how Abbie Cornish has been muscled out of the Best Actress race is totally unfair).

Nick M. said...

So, of all the films you saw while in New York City, It's Complicated was the best? I feel as if I've failed you.

Yaseen Ali said...

Believe me, I didn't anticipate such a scenario, although you have successfully talked me into a downgrade for the Meyers flick (which admittedly doesn't hold up well post-holiday).

I should add that Fantastic Mr. Fox was a lovely surprise, which I sought out on your recommendation, so brownie points for that.

Chingaling said...

What movie would you give a grade A?
I'm curious--in the mood for a good one.

Nick Duval said...

Wow, finally someone I'm mostly in step with. I think White Ribbon is a B, too, and I'll probably change my mind second time around. Ditto with Precious and Bright Star. But A Serious Man is a lot better than you give it props for. One of my favorites of the year. And so is Fantastic Mr. Fox, but I'd see someone going as low as you did.

--- Nick

watch movies online said...

Thanks for the review about rating,
The movie hanover is really awesome.In the follow-up to the record-breaking hit comedy "The Hangover," Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms), Alan (Zach Galifianakis), and Doug (Justin Bartha) travel to exotic Thailand for Stu's wedding. After the unforgettable bachelor party in Las Vegas, Stu is taking no chances and has opted for a safe, subdued pre-wedding brunch. However, things don't always go as planned. What happens in Vegas may stay in Vegas, but what happens in Bangkok can't even be imagined.

rental mobil jakarta said...

Nice article, thanks for the information.

Ginger said...

Prince of Swine is the controversial film now on DVD/VOD. A new girl in town puts Hollywood on trial. http://www.princeofswine.com/store.html