Got tagged by Glenn, so I feel I have to do this. But other readers can relax - I'm not tagging anyone else.
Here are very strange things about me. Hope I don't scare you all away.
1. I can only eat oatmeal if it is uncooked and plain. I absolutely hate it when it becomes mushy and pasty - how is that appetizing at all? I actually feel sick to my stomach at the sight of it. The way I do it: pour the raw cereal into a bowl and add milk. Done. Simple. No microwaving, boiling, or addition of toppings (well, sometimes a dash of Splenda or cocoa powder is fun.) I didn't think this was that weird, but everyone I talk to about this feels the opposite way: they can't think of oatmeal beyond the mush.
2. I can only study if I have music in the background - but not just any type of music: film scores in particular. Next to my pile of readings and assignments is a stack of CDs; some titles that are in front of me right now: The Hours, Birth, American Beauty, Little Women, Lemony Snicket, Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth, Eyes Wide Shut, and Solaris. Clearly a lot of Thomas Newman. I suppose a possible explanation is that some people need worldless melodies or white noise in the background to block out distraction, but I actually start to daydream about movies while listening. Which gets in the way of studying. This is a peculiar one.
3. I am a very deep sleeper. This is not totally abnormal, except for the fact that I need to keep three alarm clocks set to make sure I wake up on time. I have this anxiety about sleeping through the set ringers. Because of this, I tend to stay up the entire night before a big day, whether it be about an exam, presentation, early flight, big trip, or show. I don't think I could go to bed even if I wanted to - this habit has become very ingrained.
4. I don't like wearing short-sleeved shirts. If I am stepping outside the house for any reason at all, I need a sweater or something long-sleeved to wear on top of a t-shirt. I can't really explain this one either - I guess I'm just overly self conscious. I broke this rule while in Dubai this summer though: it was just too damn hot. But otherwise, only the people in my house see my arms. Yeah.
5. I will not pick up the phone unless I know who it is (bless the person who invented caller i.d.) I don't like being caught off-guard or surprised. If you're not identified by my phone, you can talk to my machine or voice mail. And you'll like it that way.
6. I am obsessed with chocolate. I need it every. single. day. I think about it constantly, and without it, I cannot have closure with anything that happens during the day. I don't think I can impart how much the thought of chocolate consumes me. Especially dark chocolate (those 70% cocoa Lindt bars.) Even if I'm being healthy and working out and all, it's the one thing I can't give up. Plus, it's good for you. Excuse me for a second, I'm getting a craving.
7. When I'm broke, I want to spend money really badly. But when I'm not in a financial crisis and have extra cash to spend, I don't want to shop at all and feel like saving instead. Maybe this is not so strange.
8. As a child, I used to be a voracious reader. I won several reading awards and would be commended by my teachers for having such a strong foundation in writing. But now I struggle to commit to a book that is not assigned in my course readings. Stupid university.
9. When I was six, I... swallowed a battery. This story is so embarrassing that I'm going to leave it right there and leave the rest to your imagination.
Hurrah! I finished the list!